March 14, 2014

Trash to Treasure

I think my favorite posts from other bloggers is their stories of 'trash-to-treasure.' There's nothing better than finding someone's throw-away and transforming it into something that you know would have cost you a couple hundred dollars to buy!  We have several of those things in our house - things we've bought cheap and fixed-up or remade into a treasure.

One is our railway cart coffee table.

I originally spotted one of these at Overstock.com and fell in love!  It was just under $400 and I immediately set out to make one.  My husband and I shopped around for wheels and hardware and during that time, I pinned a picture of one on Pinterest. Lynda @ Gates of Crystal   A friend saw my pin and told me that there were carts for sale at a nearby second-hand store.  That weekend my husband and I went and got one.

It was filthy and rough but we loved that it said, "Chicago Machinery Exchange" on it as we are about 3 hours from Chicago and love visiting.  We scrubbed and cleaned it and replaced the top with new wood, stained to match.  I love the rustic feel it gives our family room.

Another favorite is a table that sits in our Entry Hall.  Several years ago my husband and sons and I were driving down our street when I yelled, "Stop!!"  There was a yard sale at a neighbor's house and I spotted this table sitting on the grass.
It was a lot longer at the time and the wrought iron was a rusted green color and it was also filthy.  The owners said that they found it in "the river!"  We took it home, cleaned it up and painted it, and shortened it to fit in this space.

It's really heavy and solid and a great place to drop your stuff when you come in from the garage.  This summer I'm hoping to re-make it into a dining table for our deck and build a hall tree to fit in this space. The wall hanging above it is from Hobby Lobby.

One of my all time favorites I don't have a picture of.  We found a three-legged dining table in the trash, added a leg and I painted the top with chalk board paint.  We used it for home schooling and our kids loved drawing and doing math on the top of the table! From free to fabulous!

But I'm especially happy about our latest project.  My mother-in-law gave us "Aunt Thelma's Desk" many, many years ago.  I have always appreciated having it but wished I had a hutch to sit on top to make it a secretary.  Over the years, I've scoured the internet and second hand stores hoping to find something that would fit.  

A couple of weeks ago, it occurred to me that I had a book shelf in the basement that I had bought just a year or so ago that might work.  And much to my great joy it was a perfect fit and perfect color!
We're going to add some crown moulding to the top and beef up the shelves because they tend to bow but I am thrilled!  I'm also thinking of painting it to look like this...
What do you think?

I'll post the finished secretary soon.  We just returned from visiting our son in Boston and will be travelling to Auburn, Alabama next week.  And then I'll be blogging regularly again.

love and blessings~
"Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come." 2 Corinthians 5:17 

23 comments:

  1. Oh I do love your thrify treasures and the desk and bookcase hutch are going to be fabulous. Painted it will definitely be a scene stealer. Enjoy your visits and travels. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I would love to have one of the trunk tables. It's so neat to me that yours says Chicago but also that you worked on it together. Your other metal base table is great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacey! I think my husband enjoys it as much as I do. He always says, "What's next?!"

      Delete
  3. Love all of your finds! Can't wait to see your finished secretary and your hall table turned deck/dining table! Enjoy your trip! Loved seeing your pictures of your trip to Boston, that's one of our favorite places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! We had such a nice time in Boston seeing Matt's new town. He loves it there and I can see why. I can't wait for the weather to warm up here so I can get some new projects done!

      Delete
  4. I think it will look gorgeous painted that way. Just goes to show, we should shop our own homes before we go to buy something, right? Your home is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie! I was really happy to finally find something. :)

      Delete
  5. I totally agree agree with you. Hubby has changed the look of alot of things in our home from old to new instead of throwing them out. I love the iron table you have. It reminds me of an old sewing machine cabinet. Would love to find one to make a table out of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betty! We have an old Singer sewing machine table and I use it to hold my sewing supplies. It has six great little drawers. I hope you find one!
      love and blessings~

      Delete
  6. Coming over from Marty's A Stroll Thru Life...Love your Home, your Blog and your Creativity! I've added you to my Blog List - the Way I choose to Follow! ~Blessings, Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan! I just visited your blog and loved your post about essential oils! We use them too and have been so blessed in the last several years to learn about them!
      love and blessings!
      Lynda

      Delete
  7. Yes, I love trash to treasure! I was wondering about your industrial cart when I visited your home tour. I have been known to pick items from neighbors' throwaways - a definite advantage when you walk your neighborhood and get to know your neighbors. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rita! We bought ours in a shop but were so happy to find it. It's a fun addition to our home! Thanks for visiting!
      love and blessings!

      Delete
  8. Wow, I love that coffee table and the one your made over in the entry. The scroll work is gorgeous. Love your ideas for the desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! I'm excited to get the desk finished! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. Hi...I'm bj from Sweet Nothings and over from Marty's.
    I so enjoyed seeing your beautiful DIY projects. Ya'll are so talented.
    I am linking to follow....come by to see me when you can.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tried to link thru Google Friend Connect but can't.....I am liking you on FaceBook..and looked for a bloglovin link to follow you thru.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bj! I'll try to figure out if I have some kinks to fix. I'll head over to your blog and visit! Thanks for visiting and following!
      love and blessings!
      Lynda

      Delete
  11. Hi, Lynda. Your newest follower here! Had to stop over from Marty's Stroll, and I'm so glad I did! What a fun, informative blog you have! I invite you to visit me as well, and I hope you like what you see and will want to follow back! ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lynda, your decor is beautiful and so much creativity! Great blog and I am one of your new followers!

    ReplyDelete